On February 8, 1865, the hotel opened to the public with a grand ball
The Rock Point Bridge & Hotel
J.B. White developed a homestead on the north side of the stage road after the flood of 1861-1862 destroyed the bridge over the Rogue River and his home on the south side of the river. In 1863, John decided to open a store and sold his homestead to L.J. White. The cost of the property and improvements was $2,000.
Soon after, L.J. decided to establish his own hotel at the edge of his property. He immediately began work on a new bridge and in 1864 construction began on the Rock Point Hotel. On February 8, 1865, the hotel opened to the public with a grand ball.
New Rock Point Bridge completed construction in 1912
Birth of a Community
During the rest of the decade the small community of Rock Point began to flourish. Joining the hotel, and the post office, were homes, Abram Schuly’s blacksmith shop, Hoymond and White’s store, a saloon and a school. The record books from the Stage Company verify the regular use of the Rock Point Hotel as a stage stop.
But with the passage of time, things changed. Ten years after the platting of Rock Point in 1871, and final survey, the Railroad prepared a right of way through the property of L.J. White. He was not pleased by this course of events. J.B. White sold his interest in his store and moved to Nevada County, California. Lytte White died on October 28, 1878 and his sons and wife continued to run the stage stop at Rock Point. His son Henry bought out his mother and brothers and renovated the old hotel in 1887. But, by the turn of the century the hotel had closed and Henry had returned to farming.
Del Rio Orchards were planted after 1907, during a rapid period of growth in the Rogue Valley known as the “pear boom”.
20th Century – The Pear Boom
The future seemed bleak for the Rock Point Hotel. But, in 1907, it began a new period in its life. F.K. Deuel and others purchased the hotel and surrounding land. The property grew from a one-acre family orchard to an eight hundred acre valley orchard yielding leading varieties of pears, apples, cherries, peaches, apricots, walnuts and filberts.
Del Rio Orchards were planted after 1907, during a rapid period of growth in the Rogue Valley known as the “pear boom”. During the 1920’s the Rogue Valley Orchards flourished, but struggled to stay afloat during the Great Depression. The Orchards revived at the end of World War II.
Del Rio Vineyards has now opened to the public and is featuring Oregon wines
Transformation & Resurrection
The Orchard and hotel remained in the Deuel family until 1997, when Lee and Margaret Traynham of California purchased the land. With the change of ownership, thus began a period of resurrection for the property. The Traynhams, realizing the historical significance of the structures, began restoration. This included the Rock Point Hotel, which is one of the oldest structures in Southern Oregon.
They also began the transformation of a third generation pear orchard into one of Southern Oregon’s premium wine grape vineyards. Del Rio Vineyards presently is planted to over 200,000 vines, twelve varietals, and 17 clones. Del Rio supplies premium wine grapes to over 20 vintners in Oregon and California.
It has now opened to the public and is featuring Oregon wines produced with Del Rio Vineyard’s grapes. This setting of new and old combining to provide an educational, historical, and pleasurable experience.
ROB & JOLEE WALLACE